Sunday, October 16, 2011

Tortellini Vegetable Soup

This recipe comes from FamilyFun.com. If you want to print it neatly go to the link at the bottom of the post. The website won't have freezing instructions though, I added those.

This is another one that I've only made once and is still in the freezer, so the only time it's been taste tested was when I was making it. I approve. I would suggest being ready to add more salt and pepper though. I also found it to be quite brothy, and I tend to like soups with more stuff and less broth, so next time I will probably cut the chicken broth by a little. It's got tortellini in it though, so it can't really fail!

Photo from FamilyFun.com.

Tortellini Vegetable Soup

INGREDIENTS
  • 2 TBS olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 small zucchini, diced
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
  • 5 1/2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 tsp dried basil (more if fresh)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 cup canned crushed tomatoes (I added a little more)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 8 to 9 ounces fresh or frozen tortellini (cheese or meat filled - I used cheese)
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (serving day)
  • Black pepper, to taste
INSTRUCTIONS

Heat the olive oil in a medium soup pot or large saucepan. Add the onion, zucchini, and carrot. Saute over moderate heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the stock, basil, bay leaf, tomatoes, and salt to the pot. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a low boil. Add the tortellini and bring the soup back to a low boil. Cook it for 2 minutes, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 to 6 minutes longer.

TO FREEZE

Cool soup, divide into labeled freezer bags, and freeze. On serving day thaw and reheat on stove, until tortellini are heated through. Add fresh parsely and pepper during the last minute or so.

Printable version of Tortellini Vegetable Soup on FamilyFun.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment