Sunday, October 16, 2011

Penne Rosa

This is actually a recipe I made up one day because I really wanted pasta with a creamier red sauce, so I Googled a little, then made something up using the ingredients I had on hand. Then I gave it a nice sounding name (which I apparently stole from Noodles and Company).

Photo credit: The prettiest thing that came up when I Googled "penne rosa."

Penne Rosa

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 jar Prego Marinara Sauce
  • 1 can evaporated milk (I forget what size... like 8 or 12 oz, but you can just add it until it looks good to you!)
  • Dried herbs to taste (oregano, basil, whatever sounds good)
  • Penne pasta (serving day)
  • Parmesan cheese (serving day, optional)
  • Fresh basil (serving day, optional)
INSTRUCTIONS

In a large sauce pan mix marinara sauce, evaporated milk, and dried herbs. Heat to simmer and simmer for a few minutes. (Wow now, that's complicated... hope you can handle it.)

TO FREEZE

Cool sauce and divide into labeled freezer bags. Freeze. On serving day prepare penne pasta according to box directions. Thaw sauce and heat on stove or in microwave. Mix with sauce with pasta and garnish with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired. We got a little less than 3 meals worth of sauce out of this, so about 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment